Materials under harsh environments can change properties during service. Research shows that a large number of service related failures are the result of fatigue creep or other mechanically induced causes both of which can result in the onset of cracking that eventually leads to failure.
Simulated materials design and engineering processes do today involve so to avoid the unexpected catastrophe of premature failure products or devices tested under a variety of simulated conditions.
Creep processes seen for example in heat exchanges and boilers, gas turbines engines, or indeed in steam systems and blades, can in what could be seen as a nominal and stable structure over a long time could Change in shape through Distortion and Interference eventually leading to elongation and loss of preload and ultimate rupture and failure.
Standard testing equipment, such as MTS universal electro-hydraulic test machines and others are very important in this process and so are computer simulations that can well compliment the process.
Testing to simulate actual service conditions should be incorporated into every design and product support program. So whether you are trying to prove the durability of a design, establish the life expectancy of a particular configuration, or recreate potential service deficiencies, MMR’s Simulated Service testing department can help you to achieve your goals.
- Fracture Mechanics Testing
- High & Low Cycle Fatigue
- Flexural Fatigue
- Fastener Fatigue
- Axial Fatigue- -450°F to 1800°F
- Bending Fatigue- -300°F to 1400°F
- Torsional Fatigue- to 75,000 inch lbs.
- Rotary Bending Fatigue – Ambient to 350°F
- Plate Bending Fatigue – Ambient to 350°F
- Cryogenic Mechanical Testing
- Strain Gage Application and Testing
- Residual Stress Testing
- Shear Stress Testing
- Proof Load to 58,000 lb.
- Simulated Service Testing
- Component and Finished Product Testing
- Hydraulic Burst Pressure to 20,000 PSI
- Adhesive Bond Strength
- Peel Strength
- Corrosion and Stress Corrosion Testing
- Environmental Degradation
- Salt Spray